Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Come Dance With Me!

An "old and dear" friend found me on Face book recently. That is one thing I love about social networking--getting back in touch with family and friends I'd lost contact with. But that is not what I really want to write about tonight. I want to talk about the paths we take, and the curves, road blocks and unexpected surprises we stumble upon. And mostly about the people who have made my life so rich...

I remember when I first met Karen. We were full of hope and dreams--just trying to "feel life out."I was still in High School and we worked at The Sizzler. I remember the little things that likely seem so corny now. I remember when she had a "better job" than me, she could buy the more expensive nail polish and often would buy some for me...some sort of lilac and mauve was what she liked--funny, I don't remember what I liked! And at points that I had a better paying job (which was not the norm) I would buy her nail polish. Little things like that, we probably really did not appreciate at the time. Oh, and there was the time she tried to get into real estate and I pretended to be a "prospective buyer" at age 19--I doubt I fooled anyone! And all those trips to Solvang eating way too much pastry!

We had energy and passion. Most of our dreams came true in one fashion or another. But it is the little things I remember. Those little things that I did not appreciate at the time. We were in such a hurry to get somewhere--we did not appreciate the journey. And now--my dear old friend, I can savor those memories, and hope we have many years together to celebrate our lives, our children and grandchildren.

Things, come and go. Homes, careers, money, cars, jewelry (am I leaving anything out?). But good friends, family and memories are the hallmarks of a life well lived. Regrets? I have a few, not many! I have lived life with gusto. One of the biggest regrets I will ever have is not savoring my friendships, and continuing to nurture them. Thank God, I have friends who have forgiven my thoughtlessness.

So, to all my old friends and new friends, I toast you all and will tell you now how happy I am that you are all in my life. And I enjoy my memories like the 1/2 a hair cut Karen, do you remember? The pink bunny pajamas Fiona--and how hard we laughed when I hopped into the wrong tent and surprised those strangers? And Dee, the glasses of wine on the front porch with the other girls when we'd laugh and laugh.  And the dogs, men and psychic fairs I've shared with "Florida Karen" over the years! And the fundraising this past summer in 102 degree weather, Marva? And chanting with Ricky, Dawn? And how we laughed when I said in Atlanta when it rained on us it was probably Ricky "saying hi" (well that is not probably not exactly what I said!)? And all the friends I never really got to say goodbye to, like Ricky, and Leslie... Rhonda remember all those "relationships" you and Nole endured with me through the years? How many dinners have I had in your home over the years? Thank you for all of those wonderful times. Oh, and Pictionary on Christmas Eves! And Louise...too many funny, funny times--my Thelma to your Louise. Thank you for all of those times.

I know I have forgotten some friends, and this is a bit self indulgent. But you all have helped create those moments in my life that have made it so full! No. I don't think I'm dying. I just don't take enough time out of my life to tell my real friends old and new--er, how much you all mean to me! One of you sent me a message that ended, "Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance." I plan on doing a lot more dancing, and I look forward to doing some more with all of you!

To those of you who follow this blog, all put on "your dancing shoes." Enjoy your life now. Don't make some of the mistakes I've made and most of us make. Enjoy the journey, nurture your friendships--friends are the family you get to choose!  Oh, and don't forget your shoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment